Thursday, February 8, 2018

Do not take your life for granted others have less and yet are still smiling

I woke up nervous today, not sure what I was going to see. I work in a medical intensive care unit in the U.S., it’s a clean unit with innumerable staff and monitors beeping with every breath. Surrounded by death and dying and often blood and gore, I thought, well I should be prepared somewhat for the worst of the worst of the human condition. I’m not sure anything in this world short of going through it myself could have prepared me for seeing what I saw today. The pictures don’t do it justice. My words will never be enough.

The irony of this, we are staying at a nice hotel in Cox’s Bazaar. The road to the camps we are working in has absolutely stunning views of the beach front of Bangladesh, a view I have never seen in the number of times of been here. The trees and the rice paddies lining the entirely-too-narrow two-lane roads have inspired songs and poetry and it’s understandable why. Within 45 minutes we reach the entrance to the camp, marked by a dirt road that was built by the government to access the area. As we drive down the dirt path I see a few huts and homes of Bangladeshis who live close to the camps and I wonder how their lives have changed. I wonder what they think about the daily influx of vans of foreigners here to help the Rohingya. I wonder if there’s ever a thought of, “what about us?” It’s not as if the living conditions in some of the areas we passed along the way are that much better. That thought quickly fades to black as we approach the clearing where this particular camp site can be seen in its entirety. My heart sank to my toes. I don’t think it has recovered since.
                              
The road to the camp vs Entering the camp 

The clinic I was assigned to today was named the OBAT helpers clinic. The OBAT Hepers started as a family initiative to provide aid, support, education and economic empowerment to the displaced populations residing in camps in Bangladesh. While initially the intent of the organization at its inception was to aid stranded Pakistanis, Biharis or Urdu-speaking people,  they of course leapt to the aide of the Rohingya when the crisis escalated this summer. I brought with me an EKG machine that was donated by Dr. Tonbira Zaman and the Cooley Dickinson Hospital in NorthHampton Massachusetts, a machine that I lugged with me from the U.S. I’m used to carrying the weight of this machine so as I got out of the van I went to grab the machine and our coordinator said, “nope, we will hire someone for that, you can’t carry that where we are going”. Initially offended she didn’t trust my ability (just kidding, I wasn’t really), she pointed to where we were going. A building with two flags flapping in the dusty wind, sitting atop the highest point in this particular camp with steps carved into the hills. She was right, I’d have to focus mainly on climbing the stairs. 




We were a group of four physicians today. Making our way to the clinic atop the hill we passed hut after hut. Bamboo frames tied together with tarps as the rooftop. Immediately I had the heart-stopping thought: what will happen when the rainy season comes? My brain could barely compute what was in front of me let alone the possibility for further demise in a few months. As I contemplated this I heard the sweet voices of a few kids following along with us. They were saying, in one breath, “Hi how are you, fine, thank you, you’re welcome”.  They were smiling.


We reached the clinic, and after a quick run-down of how things work I sat down in my cubicle to see patients. With me I had a translator, a young girl who also is Rohingya by lineage, her parents were Rohingya but came in the first wave decades ago, she is about 18 years old. She was born in Bangladesh and she was thrilled to hear that I could speak Bangla and so she stayed with me all day. She told me that she still lives in a camp but it is in better condition than this, but that is where she has lived all of her life. She attended school in Bangladesh as well. Her commute to this clinic is an hour walk each way which she does not mind doing. From 930-5 pm I myself saw maybe 70-80 patients, and the others averaged the same. Some of the cases were chronic pain, likely related to the days worth of walking it took to come to Bangladesh. Other cases were respiratory disease, cough and cold symptoms, asthma, allergies.  I had one case of likely pancreatic cancer—what a cruelty, to have made it to asylum only to realize that your life will be cut short regardless.  Each patient came with a medical book where their vitals were written down by the medical assistant who triaged them, I would then write down a brief history and exam and a diagnosis and treatment plan. Basic medications are available but only by crowdfunding and donors. The clinic funds are running low however and it is clear this will start to be a problem soon. This is a scary fact since up to 200 patients are seen in this clinic daily, DAILY! A field hospital is also being built by the OBAT group and then comes the daunting task of how to staff it. As the day’s light started to dwindle we were told to quickly wrap things up. There was a worried tone about those that were ushering us out of the clinic. We were in a race against the clock as it turns out, as it is illegal for us to remain in the camp after sundown, in fact people have been arrested! The reason is that the safety of the Rohingya is crucial, they are a vulnerable population and protecting them from things such as human trafficking or other such atrocities is incredibly important!




No comments:

Post a Comment