Saturday, February 11, 2017

Friday our day of R&R

 After our first few days went so successfully we were lucky to have a Friday to relax. In Bangladesh many people have just one day off, and that day is Friday. The traffic is lighter because people are out enjoying time with their families and maybe even outside of the hustle and bustle of the city. I am lucky to have a huge family many of whom still reside in Dhaka and in Sylhet. I got to spend some time with them this Friday and like every other day I have had here it has been a learning experience. The picture shown above is called "amer bol" which is like the bud of a mango tree. You can see the tiny green buds which believe it or not will turn into full grown mangoes. Well here's the best part this tree is right outside the window of my aunts house it is so close in fact that one fully grown she can pluck a mango from right outside her window and enjoy the tasty fruit. This fruit is by far one of my favorite things to eat in this country!

Then I moved on to my uncles house where I played a beloved game to all Bangladeshis, Karom!!...we were lucky to have a board at home growing up..it is essentially like billiards but with chips as the billiard balls and a larger plastic disc which is the equivalent of the cue stick. While I lost to the two people flanking me who are brilliant at this game it was a very lively and exciting time...and nice not to talk about an ultrasound for the day. 
 

Luckily my stomach was starting to feel better(save for brief projectile emesis..because what's a weekend without that!) and I was able to enjoy some delicious food all day..which also involved some interesting discussions at the dinner table. 
 
The topic of why families are not allowed in the ICU came up as well as end of life decision making. I have learned a lot about our culture just from seeing many Bangladeshi patients in New York and how they and their families handle end of life situations. It's not a topic of conversation that is normal to have but it is crucial as it leads to family members understanding the wishes of their loved ones, this takes the burden off of anyone who is tasked with making any end of life decision if ever the time comes to do so. The silent thoughtfulness I noticed as we discussed this topic, given the personal nature for so many of us sitting there, all with our own experiences--was a sign that what I had stressed about the importance of such a conversation was registering. 

It was a phenomenal day this last Friday. And it reminds me why I love this country and will continue to come back to try and contribute to bettering the delivery of health care. 


No comments:

Post a Comment